[TechAssist] Re: CLONING Windows 2000 Pro

  • From: <wolfe-mcse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 05:21:28 -0500

Howdy...

Actually SCANREG actually backs up the registry database (system.dat, and
user.dat), along with win.ini, and system.ini by default.  In regards to the
tech, yes, he does know his stuff, the problem is you do not know it.

Using your reasoning as the name of the file, SAM is also part of the
registry database, but this is just not the case.  The registry database on
NT system is split into smaller components, i.e. software, SAM, etc.

For those who get the resource kit for their OS, you can modify things that
are backed up by utilities such as SCANREG.  I have noticed that Windows XP
includes functionality that mimics that of SCANREG, but I have not examined
whether this is the case or not.

In regards to low level altering the characteristics of the drive, this is
just not the case.  Drives are already low level formatted when they are
shipped from the factory, and are void of any entries in the partition
table.

Norton Disk Editor cannot access the partition table, which is also wiped
clean during a low level format.  Sometimes it is necessary to wipe the
partition table completely clean, and low level format insures that it is
thoroughly wiped.

FDISK /MBR should ONLY be used in cases where the master boot record (MBR)
is corrupted.  Using this utility on an NTFS drive would virtually corrupt
the drive so that no information could be recovered.

In one last ditch effort, before the drive is formatted low level (it should
take a few minutes to format it high level, and a few hours low level),
provided you can get the drive up so you can perform normal routines in
Windows 2000, you can check, and recreate the system paging file.

Wolfe