[TechAssist] Re: CLONING Windows 2000 Pro

  • From: "Elmer L. Tibbetts Jr." <eltibbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 06:56:37 +0000

Gary,

The difference between FDISK and the two levels of format are basically as
follows:

1) low level format lays out the physical tracks & locks out any bad tracks
2) FDISK sets up the partition table which tells the computer where the
logical drives are on the physical media
3) high level format sets up the root directory structure and initializes
the sectors/clusters so that the logical drive can be used by the operating
system.

the three steps have to be done in this order, but the low level format on
many drives is done by the factory so the user "shouldn't" have to woory
about it (unless you REALLY need to wipe the data on the drive, i.e. a
major virus problem that can't be handled any other way or a very old drive
where the tracks have started to "drift" due to the wear on the servo).

The reason that Drive Backup is so quick is that I suspect that it assumes
that the sectors/clusters are OK and it just initializes the root directory
structure.  This is a quick & dirty fix and perfectly OK - AS LONG AS the
sectors/clusters structure has not been damaged ... if it has been then you
may have to go back to the low level format.

Also, be careful of what type of backup you use, the quickest is an image
backup but that save a "snapshot" of the drive, bad sectors & all.  With a
modern drive this shouldn't be a problem but you should always be aware of
the limitations of any tool that you use (and a file based backup program,
while slower doesn't have this problem).

Hope this helps,

Elmer Tibbetts
Systems Engineer