[TechAssist] Re: CLONING Windows 2000 Pro

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wolfe-mcse@xxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:54:42 -0700

Should I assume that the system paging file may be different than the
same file on the cloned drive?  How do you recreate it? I agree, I
don't know much about the registry (I'm an expert at fixing TV's, not
computers).

Thanks

--
Best regards,
 Bil                            mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thursday, October 24, 2002, 3:21:28 AM, you wote:

wmen> Howdy...

wmen> Actually SCANREG actually backs up the registry database (system.dat, and
wmen> user.dat), along with win.ini, and system.ini by default.  In regards to
the
wmen> tech, yes, he does know his stuff, the problem is you do not know it.

wmen> Using your reasoning as the name of the file, SAM is also part of the
wmen> registry database, but this is just not the case.  The registry database
on
wmen> NT system is split into smaller components, i.e. software, SAM, etc.

wmen> For those who get the resource kit for their OS, you can modify things
that
wmen> are backed up by utilities such as SCANREG.  I have noticed that Windows
XP
wmen> includes functionality that mimics that of SCANREG, but I have not
examined
wmen> whether this is the case or not.

wmen> In regards to low level altering the characteristics of the drive, this is
wmen> just not the case.  Drives are already low level formatted when they are
wmen> shipped from the factory, and are void of any entries in the partition
wmen> table.

wmen> Norton Disk Editor cannot access the partition table, which is also wiped
wmen> clean during a low level format.  Sometimes it is necessary to wipe the
wmen> partition table completely clean, and low level format insures that it is
wmen> thoroughly wiped.

wmen> FDISK /MBR should ONLY be used in cases where the master boot record (MBR)
wmen> is corrupted.  Using this utility on an NTFS drive would virtually corrupt
wmen> the drive so that no information could be recovered.

wmen> In one last ditch effort, before the drive is formatted low level (it
should
wmen> take a few minutes to format it high level, and a few hours low level),
wmen> provided you can get the drive up so you can perform normal routines in
wmen> Windows 2000, you can check, and recreate the system paging file.

wmen> Wolfe

wmen> -----Original Message-----
wmen> From: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wmen> [mailto:techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bil Green
wmen> Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 1:10 AM
wmen> To: Gary McCartney
wmen> Subject: [TechAssist] Re: CLONING Windows 2000 Pro

wmen> Hi Gary,

wmen> I have restored the registry and the most critical system files
wmen> (using WinRescue) already so the last known good config would be one
wmen> that didn't work any better than the current one. I use WinRescue
wmen> because Last Known Good Config (as well as scanreg /) are known to
wmen> be unreliable. This program should be on every computer - really
wmen> easy and quick to use, and works.

wmen> The Drive Backup tech that examined my System32\config\system file
wmen> didn't find anything wrong with it. He referred to this file as the
wmen> registry (I know the registry file as SOFTWARE, not SYSTEM). I wonder
wmen> if he knows his stuff.

wmen> Since the cloned drive works perfectly, even though the OS came from
wmen> the "bad" drive, I am wondering if maybe the original drive is
wmen> physically defective or has an error that is hard to eliminate and
wmen> does not get transferred when cloned.

wmen> Unless someone has a better idea I am planning on totally "erasing"
wmen> the "bad" partition with Eraser (writes a special pattern to the
wmen> drive, up to 35 times, to make it nearly impossible to retrieve files).

wmen> --
wmen> Best regards,
wmen>  Bil                            mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx

wmen> Wednesday, October 23, 2002, 9:11:01 PM, you wote:

GM>> I just checked my hard drive (win 2000) and there was no scanreg.exe
GM>> file found. You can however restore to last known good configuration by
GM>> booting up and pressing F8 and choosing it from the menu.

GM>> Gary McCartney

GM>> McCartney Electronics
GM>> 7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
GM>> Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4
GM>> Fax: (519)821-1530
GM>> email: number63 (at) inetsonic.com

GM>> wolfe-mcse@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>>
>>> Howdy...
>>>
>>> Rather than trying to sort all of this out, and fix something that may
wmen> not
>>> be worth the effort to fix to start with, as it could take days to fix
wmen> the
>>> problem you created, here is a suggestion.
>>>
>>>    1.  Low level format the drive
>>>    2.  Install Windows 2000 Pro from the CD
>>>    3.  Image the drive using Windows 2000 utilities,
>>>        prior to any addition software installation,
>>>        once it is operational again
>>>
>>> I think Microsoft dropped the ERD functionality when it released Windows
>>> 2000, aka Windows NT 5.0, so there really is not way to "protect"
wmen> yourself
>>> with a quick fix on this.  I am curious in regards to whether they
wmen> released
>>> SCANREG with Windows 2000, which was first released with Windows 98.  It
wmen> may
>>> be worth checking into :).
>>>
>>> Wolfe Strickland, MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CompTIA A+

>>> To REMOVE your email address, click here:
>>>   http://www.tech-assist.org/unsubb.html
>>> To CHANGE your email address, click here:
>>>   http://www.techassist.net/forms/change.html
>>> ***NEW*** Tips Added Instantly!!!***
>>> Submit Repair Tips here:
>>> http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/

GM>> --

GM>> ------------------------------------------
GM>> To REMOVE your email address, click here:
GM>>   http://www.tech-assist.org/unsubb.html
GM>> To CHANGE your email address, click here:
GM>>   http://www.techassist.net/forms/change.html
GM>> ------------------------------------------
GM>> ***NEW*** Tips Added Instantly!!!***
GM>> Submit Repair Tips here:
GM>> http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/

wmen> To REMOVE your email address, click here:
wmen>   http://www.tech-assist.org/unsubb.html
wmen> To CHANGE your email address, click here:
wmen>   http://www.techassist.net/forms/change.html
wmen> ***NEW*** Tips Added Instantly!!!***
wmen> Submit Repair Tips here:
wmen> http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/