[talks-uk] Re: buying a new phone

  • From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:46:15 +0100

Hi Paul et al
I'd agree with Neil and other that the apple devices are brilliant for
playing media, web browsing, using apps to quickly access specific
information on and offline but a bit more complex for data entry heavy tasks
such as texting and email.  Making calls isn't really problematic as like in
other operating systems you just select people from your contacts list but
you do have course have to get their details in there accurately to start
with. Whether it's the solution for you rather depends on my much text entry
you anticipate doing, how often you add new entries to your contacts etc,
and also if you make a lot of calls that require you to enter keystrokes
while on a call e.g. press 1 for this, 2 for that type switchboards.

What platforms other than apple offer is the option to have both touchscreen
and physical keyboard so letting you have a more reliable fallback for these
types  of taks but keeping the convenience of touch for consuming data. In
theory anyway as neither symbian or android offer quite the intuitive user
experience that apple seem to have sown up.  I'm no apple fan-boy but they
do definitely lead the way in number and variety of apps and raw pleasurable
user experience.

Symbian devices which combine touch screen and keyboard include the e7 which
is essentially and evolution of the e71 so might appeal to you but nokia
definitely lag behind in the availability of apps though there are solutions
out there for most common tasks such as messaging and management, skype,
tsocial networking, and of course a good old fashioned web browser.

Android is a bit trickier, you need a phone with physical (not capacitive or
touch sensitive) call and call-end buttons, and ideally back and menu
buttons too. And if you want to use it with the code factory mobile
accessibility suite for android which costs about £60, and is the most
reliable android access solution around at present then as I understand it
you also need a device with a physical camera key as this is used as the MA
modifier key.  That's limits you to a very few devices. At the minute i
think it pretty much brings you to the HTC desire, and HTC desire-s in the
UK at present.

The code factory MA tool has stirred up debate because it isn't a
screenreader, it's a suite of 10 self voice apps that run on android so it
isn't truly giving you access to everything that the goolgle operating
system offers, however it's a good middle ground that offers you the
security of reliable phone and messaging capability with the option to use
the screenreader which is part of that suite, or 1 of the other freely
available android screenreaders to venture in to the fullness of android,
and the apps marketplace should you so wish.

Personally I've taken the route that some other on list seem to have too in
that I've got a nokia phone with talks which I mostly use for phone and
messaging, and the occasional GPS via nokia maps which is perfectly adequate
for end to end navigation, and an ipod touch for down time activities such
as reader and listening. The entry level 8 gig ipod touch costs £190 and has
no ongoing costs the only limitation being that you need a wifi connection
for any online activity although there's plenty you can do without an
internet connection.

Part of the reason I took that option was because as an existing talks user
the investment in moving my talks licence from one device to another is low
compared to the risks of moving to a different solution when I'm not
currently certain of which suits me best, or is adequate in the short term
and sustainable in the longer.

Adrian Higginbotham
E: Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Twitter: @AHiggi