[talks-uk] Re: buying a new phone

  • From: "ANDY COLLINS" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:10:32 +0100

Hi Paul -

I'll answer some points, and let others chip in too:

You won't be able to just go to your provider and tell them which phone you wish to have a contract for, if they don't carry that particular phone, you'll be out of luck; although the N82 is still a very good and popular phone [especially amongst blind people] it is considered old now by the providers; you can still get them easily enough, unlocked and sim free, but like you say, you want to keep to a contract, so this might be a stumbling block for you. In terms of what it would cost to upgrade to an N82 or any other phone, well that depends on the contract you choose or negotiate with your provider, you can pay more up front, and lower the monthly charges, or pay less, and pay a higher monthly amount, or adjust your talk time on the contract to adjust it's cost. There are many many contracts, a bit of a mine field, so it depends on how you use your phone [calls, texts, internet] as to what might be a good deal for you.

I think the cost of the KNFB reader [in the UK] is £699 [but I'm sure somebody can confirm this for you]

And yes, you can copy over your contacts from one phone to the next, using the phone switch application [on the N82] and from there put them on to sim, but this isn't really advisable, as the sim will only store a limited amount of info for each contact.

Hope that's accurate, and of some help to you -

Andy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Roberts" <anorack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>