Re: [steem] the dreaded Sysex

  • From: "Stephen Ware" <sware@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:36:11 -0000

>It would be MIARS that I need, right?  The module (TX81Z) receives the
>request and sends the dump, but the sysex data isn't received quickly
enough
>by the software.
>
>Anyways, I've tried this, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly because
I'm
>not too familiar with command line options.  I used "Command Prompt"
>(win2000) and typed "Steem /MIARS".  Is this right?  Steem started OK but
>how do I know if the MIARS option is functioning?

I suspect you certainly need MOARS, and maybe MIARS as well, because without
MOARS there`s a delay between the program sending the message and its actual
transmission by Steem, and probably without MIARS on the way back too.

I'm not a DOSperson either, but I do it by making a shortcut to Steem.exe
then altering the Target (via Properties) so that it says (precisely - I
believe the "whitespace" is important)
Steem.exe MIARS MOARS

You can tell if it's working by watching the MIDI OUT LED and see if there
is a delay between sending the command and the light coming on (compare with
Steem without MOARS)
Delay will be pretty short if your messages are only 128 bytes long. Maybe
you'll need MIDIINSYSEX as well if there are a lot of them??

Good luck!
Stephen

Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/