Re: [steem] the dreaded Sysex

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:59:07 -0000

Hi Ross,

> I tried out MIDIINSYSEX=? with different values, but I'm still not able to
> retrieve a sysex dump instigated by Steem - in this case 4OPED for Yamaha
> TX81Z.
>
> The problem seems to be a delay between sending the request (from Steem)
and
> receiving data (from the TX81Z).

Oh yes, I remember this problem, I still haven't come across any way to get
round it. Should work on XSteem when I finally get round to adding MIDI
support.

> So I was wondering if the sysex cache could be made even smaller - right
now
> the minimum is 64K, but bank dumps from the TX are only 128 bytes.
>
> Would this make a difference, do you think?

No unfortunately not, it doesn't matter how many bytes are in the buffer,
any that aren't needed are just ignored. The problem comes from the way
Windows handles MIDI, if I could access the MIDI port directly there would
be no problem, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Sorry about that,
Russ

Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/