Re: [steem] Improvement suggestion - Was: Where is the backslash?

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:28:35 -0000

Hi,

> today I examined, if I was able to define an "alternate" key for the
> backslash,
> just to see if people who cannot reach the character the "normal" way, can
> define a shortcut for this.
>
> This would be THE purpose for the "Press ST Key" option in the shortcuts
> menu, one should think, but no go!
>
> Unfortunately, the "Enter-Key-Control" can only accept keys from the *PC*
> keyboard, not accepting any modifiers. This does not make much sense to
me.
> It is nonsense to try to use the PC Keyboard to enter an ST Key.

The idea of the Press ST Key shortcut is really to remap normal keys to
other keys or joystick buttons/directions, it was never intended to allow
new key assignments.

> The solution to this could be: Please exchange the Enter-Key-Control with
> a normal "Dropdown List" of all available characters, so anyone can choose
> the desired character that should appear in the ST.

Unfortunately this is a bit tricky. I suppose it would be possible for
normal keys and shifted keys, the codes for these can be extracted from the
current TOS, but these can already be easily fixed if anyone finds they
aren't in the right place. The problem is that there is no way to extract
the alternate keys from the TOS, the scancodes of these keys and the
character they produce would have to be sent to me by someone who has an ST
with the problem keyboard. I could do it if someone told me that info, but I
could also easily fix the problem without the need for a shortcut.

> I rarely (almost never) use the sound output of steem. So the standard
> setting
> for sound output is "None" on my computer. However, Steem still "locks"
> (opens) my sound device, making it impossible for me to listen to music
> with an MP3 or MOD player while Steem is running. Please fix this.

That's strange, I can't get that to happen at all. I've looked through the
code and can't find anything that could cause this to happen if mute is on.
Does it happen when you start emulation or all the time Steem is open? To
get round it for now you could disable DirectSound, that should make sure
nothing can be interfered with.

Sincerely,
Russell Hayward

Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/