Re: [steem] Improvement suggestion - Was: Where is the backslash?

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:51:57 -0000

Hi Stefan,

> actually I have to say sorry for blaming you for locking my sound device.
> This seems to be more a problem of MODPlug player, not Steem.
> I tried it today again with WinAmp and it plays while Steem is running,
> I can even hear ST Sound WHILE WinAmp is playing.
> Thats most likely, because Steem uses secondary DS buffers, by default.

Easy mistake to make, sound devices seem to be very poorly handled on
Windows, sometimes I run 2 sound-related programs at the same time and then
one will stop making any sounds until I restart. Interestingly I tried using
RealPlayer and Steem at the same time when Steem was set to "Write to
primary" mode and I could hear both, I didn't think that was possible!

> Strangely, MODPlug is set to the same device (WaveMapper) as WinAmp,
> but when MODPlug is running and you start Steem, you'll get a message
> "DSObj initialize failed.".

That's a very odd place for it to fail, must be down to how Windows and
DirectSound handle the devices again.

> Anyway, I see your point about the scan codes. I was not aware that they
> could be different on a keyboard of another language.

Yes, unfortunately they are completely different for some languages. The
main problem is the changing places of some keys from ST to PC keyboards,
makes it almost impossible to map the keyboard in a way that will work for
all keys (especially as I only have a UK keyboard to test with).

Sincerely,
Russ

Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/