[steem] Improvement suggestion - Was: Where is the backslash?

  • From: "Stefan Jeworowski" <stefan.email@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 19:56:13 +0100

Hello,

today I examined, if I was able to define an "alternate" key for the
backslash,
just to see if people who cannot reach the character the "normal" way, can
define a shortcut for this.

This would be THE purpose for the "Press ST Key" option in the shortcuts
menu, one should think, but no go!

Unfortunately, the "Enter-Key-Control" can only accept keys from the *PC*
keyboard, not accepting any modifiers. This does not make much sense to me.
It is nonsense to try to use the PC Keyboard to enter an ST Key.

The solution to this could be: Please exchange the Enter-Key-Control with
a normal "Dropdown List" of all available characters, so anyone can choose
the desired character that should appear in the ST.

You might argue that one would need to scroll through 224 entries
(I'm not counting the control characters) in the list box to find the
character,
but for me this is perfectly ok. I rather scroll through 224 characters
ONCE,
than be able to use the backslash NEVER.

And while we're at it - another suggestion:

I rarely (almost never) use the sound output of steem. So the standard
setting
for sound output is "None" on my computer. However, Steem still "locks"
(opens) my sound device, making it impossible for me to listen to music
with an MP3 or MOD player while Steem is running. Please fix this.

Aside from that, Steem is a great piece of Software,
thanks for this cool free tool!

Best regards,
Stefan

Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/