Re: [steem] the dreaded Sysex

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:01:37 -0000

Hi Ross,

> > All we can do is ask our eSteemed authors if they can either miss out
this
> > checking business (I suspect not), or maybe give us the option of
> suspending
> > Steem during the processing of sysex packets, so that the sequencing
> program
> > doesn't know there has been a delay.
>
> Actually there's a way to do this.  Before making the dump request, change
> the emulator speed to the fastest.  As noted somewhere, the faster the
> emulator speed the slower it runs(!?).  This works for some programs, but
> not all.  As you say, the best or maybe the only sollution is to suspend
> Steem immedialtly after the dump request, wait a few seconds and resume.
> That should work.  This would be quite tricky to implement, though.  Maybe
> with something like a triple mouse click.  Is that possible?  There could
be
> a switch allowing triple (or double) mouse clicks to suspend Steem for
(say)
> 5 seconds and then resume.  That would do it for me.
>
> STeem authors, is this possible?

I think so, I could add a shortcut action to pause Steem while you held it
down, then you could put it on any combination of keys/joystick
buttons/joystick directions or the middle mouse button. In fact, I think it
would work with the current slow motion shortcut action, that makes Steem
run at 10% speed while active. Give it a try and if it works I could add an
action to pause until a sysex message is received, that would mean you don't
have to guess when to stop slow motion.

Unfortunately all double/triple mouse clicks must be sent to the ST so you
wouldn't be able to put the shortcut on that, if you have a middle mouse
button that would work well (even though there is a bug in the MMB support
at the moment).

Russ

Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/