Re: [steem] the dreaded Sysex

  • From: "Stephen Ware" <sware@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:37:53 -0000

Hi Ross

>I tried out MIDIINSYSEX=? with different values, but I'm still not able to
>retrieve a sysex dump instigated by Steem - in this case 4OPED for Yamaha
>TX81Z.
>
>The problem seems to be a delay between sending the request (from Steem)
and
>receiving data (from the TX81Z).
>
>So I was wondering if the sysex cache could be made even smaller - right
now
>the minimum is 64K, but bank dumps from the TX are only 128 bytes.
>
>Would this make a difference, do you think?
>
>Ross

Steem has had 2 problems with sysex in Windows, both of which the clever
Steem authors have largely sorted.

1. Lots of short Sysex messages arriving very quickly, each of which has to
be stored in a separate buffer to be dealt with. If new messages arrive too
quickly, you may run out of buffers and lose data. MIDIINSYSEX gives you
more buffers. (Not relevant to your problem I suspect).

2. Delay between the program ordering the message to be sent, and the actual
transmission through the MIDI OUT port. As I understand it, this is because
Steem checks that it is a proper message (ends in F7H) before starting to
send it, and for long Sysex messages this may take a few seconds, by which
time the program may timeout (get bored with waiting).

You may be able to get round this by using MOARS (see readme file) which
eliminates the delay. Russ tells us it is less safe, but on my computer it
seems to work very well with files of at least 45K. (It doesn't seem to be
able to cope with more than one MIDI OUT port at a time however). MIARS
(MIDI IN) also seems to work well provided likewise you don't ask too much
of it.

If this does solve Ross's problem, the Steem authors may feel it worthwhile
having a facility to switch this on and off during the running of Steem, as
it helps some situations and hinders others.

Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/