Re: [steem] STE DMA sound replay rate

  • From: "Steem Authors" <steem@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Steem Discussion" <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:57:48 +0100

Hi,

> I hate to report a minor problem on such a good product, but this one is
> quite annoying:
>
> The replay rate of the STE DMA sound is too high. This translates into
> sounds being played too fast, and at a pitch that is too high.
>
> This is very obvious in a Wings of Death, where the configuration menu
lets
> you choose the output type for the sampled sounds. When I select PSX
> digital, everything is fine. But when I select STE DMA, both the speed and
> pitch of the sound effects and the sampled voice are too high. This
actually
> creates a strange desynchronization problem: after a couple minutes of
> playing, the sound become desynchronized (When I kill an ennemy, I hear
the
> sound of the explosion a second later).
>
> The problem occurs in both STeem and XSTeem. I started noticing in with
> V2.4.

The replay rates of most DMA sound modes were changed in v2.4, this is
because we found the documentation to be very, very wrong on the
frequencies. The new timings are much more accurate, in fact some programs
that produced a complete mess with the old ones now work fine. There may
still be some slight differences to a real STE, but much closer than the
previous versions. I can't explain the Wings of Death delay problem, it
doesn't happen for me, are you sure it doesn't happen with all sounds, that
would indicate a sound card problem.

> I'm not sure if this is relevant, and I may be completely wrong, but I
seem
> to remember that the replay rate of the STE's DMA was 11000 or 22000 Hz.
> PC's soundcards are usually 11025, 22050, etc.

Unfortunately Steem can't use hardware mixing as most SoundBlaster cards
can't manage to play one buffer properly, let alone two with different
frequencies and mix them. So Steem has to resample all DMA sound itself (as
quickly as possible), this causes great problems for sound cards that can't
manage 50066Hz (most SoundBlasters can't).

Do you think it has come through in this message that I dislike
SoundBlasters? :)

Sincerely,
Russell Hayward

--