[steem] STE DMA sound replay rate

  • From: "MB" <mbricout@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <steem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:08:15 -0230

I hate to report a minor problem on such a good product, but this one is
quite annoying:

The replay rate of the STE DMA sound is too high. This translates into
sounds being played too fast, and at a pitch that is too high.

This is very obvious in a Wings of Death, where the configuration menu lets
you choose the output type for the sampled sounds. When I select PSX
digital, everything is fine. But when I select STE DMA, both the speed and
pitch of the sound effects and the sampled voice are too high. This actually
creates a strange desynchronization problem: after a couple minutes of
playing, the sound become desynchronized (When I kill an ennemy, I hear the
sound of the explosion a second later).

The problem occurs in both STeem and XSTeem. I started noticing in with
V2.4.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, and I may be completely wrong, but I seem
to remember that the replay rate of the STE's DMA was 11000 or 22000 Hz.
PC's soundcards are usually 11025, 22050, etc.

As well, no matter which version of TOS I select, the DMA is always active
(Wings of Death recognizes the machine as an STE). Is there any way to
deactivate it ?

Michael

--
Steem - http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/