[SI-LIST] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Steven_McKinney@xxxxxxxx
  • To: steven.corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:39:44 -0600

A question about the methodology you are taking in order say whether the
permittivity changes with frequency:

Are you considering a complex permittivity??

In the dialogue that I have seen, I have not seen anything mentioned about
the imaginary part of the complex permittivity, only the real or absolute
permittivity.  Since you are considering lossy mediums such as FR-4, then
you must consider the complex permittivitiy, not just the real part which
would be a lossless case.

The complex permittivity of a medium is e = e' - je"

The imaginary part of e (e") accounts for loss in a medium due to dampening
of the vibrating dipole moments and provides a measure of power loss in the
medium.  This is where your frequency dependancy comes in, a.k.a. loss
tangent (tan(delta)).

The loss tangent has a frequency dependancy by the relation of dielectric
dampening (w*e").

Loss tangent is the ratio of e"/e' which will produce tan(delta) =
(sigma)/(w)*(e) where
e = eo*er.  This incorporates the conductivity of the medium, the frequency
of propagation, and absolute permittivity.

The end result is that you end up with a permittivity of e = e'(1-
j*tan(delta))

This result is a frequency dependant permittivity that incorporates the
ohmic losses as well as dampening.

-Steve