[SI-LIST] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Girish Bangalore" <bvg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Goutham.S@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:31:55 -0800

Goutham,

The 2.5V signal's return current needs to find the shortest path back to
it's source to reduce EMI and noise issues. That is possible if only either
a common ground plane or the 2.5V plane is adjacent to this signal. If you
any have other plane like the 5V then the return current has to find a path
thru' the 5V plane and will have to take a circuitous path. Effectively
increasing the inductance of the path traced which is not desirable.  One
way to reduce this "long path" is to couple the two power planes thru' small
capacitors so as to provide a easier path for these currents. Which will
enable you to have a 5V underneath the 2.5V signals only if you have no
other choice should you resort to this.

I do not know the answer to the second question.

Girish