[SI-LIST] design of on-chip PDN

  • From: Siming Pan <pansiming86@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 16:10:15 -0700

Hi All,
   I have a basic question related to on-chip PDN design. Usually the supply
voltages are designed to be isolated for core, SERDES

 digital, analog, termination, etc. This design may isolate the SSN
couplings among each net. However, usually large on-chip decoupling

 capacitances are used for VDD core circuit. In the board design, we connect
the power nets of VDD_core together with VDD_digital¡£

Thus, switching noises generated from SERDES digital are suppressed by large
on-chip decaps designed for core circuit. However,

package inductances  still play a bad role here to block the conducted path
between noise source formed by digital circuit and core

capacitances. Then why not use one common power net as the supply power for
all the IC circuits, so that large on-chip decaps can be

shared, if the voltage levels are the same?

Regards,

Siming Pan

--
Siming Pan