[SI-LIST] Re: design of on-chip PDN

  • From: "Xu, Catherine (ICS)" <xu@xxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Siming Pan <pansiming86@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 23:36:01 +0000

Hi, Siming,

Steve answered well. Using common power net in package design increase risk of:

1) conducted noise due to common impedance coupling - especially for blocks
contain tens to a couple hundred kHz freq
2) increased coupling due to higher mutual inductance
3) reduced controllability if all power net are tied together

Using dedicated power island with careful decoupling and PDN control is a much
better design methodology.

Catherine Xu
Lead HW Design Engineer, Ph.D
HP ICS  CHIL - San Diego