[SI-LIST] Re: Serpentine Traces

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:42:48 -0700 (PDT)

jeff.w.loyer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I'm not familiar with the term "group delay" in your original context.  If
>you're talking about matching the propagation time of a group of signals (a
>bus), it's a very common practice (often using serpentines).  Is that what
>you mean?

Group delay is a common concept in radio communications. Mathematically,
it is defined as -(dPhi/dF) (the negative of the rate of phase change
with respect to frequency). The result has units of time.

As a practical matter, it manifests itself as causing certain frequency
components of a signal to be delayed relative to other components in
that signal. This unequal delay across frequency leads to distortion of
the signal.

For more info on the topic, May I suggest you check out this nicely
written tech note on Group Delay:
        http://www.radiolab.com.au/DesignFile/DN004.pdf

-Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems Inc.