[SI-LIST] Re: On-die caps for IO supply

  • From: "Yang, Long" <long.0.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <telegrapher9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:32:26 +0800

In most cases, power/ground rails play the role of planar cavity, hence
potentially there would have intrinsic resonances.
Once the resonance occurs, the electric filed has maximum value at edge of
power/ground conductor planes, like patch antennae, that may excite EMC
problem.
When adding capacitors, the resonant frequencies will shift lower or higher
(the electricmagnetic modes may also change at the same time),
determined by the capacitor characters.
It is kind of difficult to calculate how many capacitors should be used to
keep the power noise or slew-rate at a certain value because too many
frequency-dependent factors from pkg/die/board. While for power noise to be
flat in all frequency range, the following suggestion can be referred:
using capacitor with capacitance from 0.01uF to 47uF
using less bigger capacitance of capacitors and more  smaller  capacitors

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:59 PM, DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> One issue I have encountered with on-die decoupling is power bus
> resonance.
> This appears, in some cases, to dominate the EMC signature of the IC.
> Having
> the ability to switch in more or less on-die capacitance would provide a
> method to shift the resonant frequency if problems are encountered during
> system EMC testing. Modulation of the on-die C could be used to affect a
> type of spread spectrum.
>    Dave Cuthbert
>

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Bradley Henson <
> Bradley_Henson-NR@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The last std cell design I worked on was 90nm and had a DDR2-533. The
> > vendor provided a scalable model for the on-die transient and IR voltage
> > drop. As I recall it included die and package parasitics. We added
> on-die
> > I/O capacitance until we meet the vendor's release requirements
> > (reasonable IMO) for on-die droop/noise. Don't remember what the
> > capacitance was that we ended up with per driver, but by using a special
> > on-die cap, we managed to get a lot more than I thought could be
> possible.
> > The results looked good in the lab post-fab.  In any event, I don't see
> > how you can proceed without detailed simulations by you or your
> > semi-vendor?
> > best regards and good luck

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help: