[SI-LIST] Re: Do you really ship products at BER 10e-xx ?

  • From: "Alfred P. Neves" <al.neves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:20:04 -0700

Chris,

Good point regarding the distinction between extrinsic versus intrinsic
jitter of a PLL.  This thread has helped me better understand the issues
of system design versus the issues of generating a PLL with very low
intrinsic phase jitter.  A lot of my experience has been in making good
PLL's and CDR's where extrinsic jitter from the power supply, power
plane resonance and junk coupling into the loop filter is analyzed from
a characterization perspective.

When we had to optimize the loop characteristics for PLL's an overriding
consideration has been the conflicting requirements of low jitter
generation (GR-253, Sonet) and jitter transfer.  If you make the loop BW
large, and the loop gain high you often have poor loop stability of
phase/frequency, such that you reject intrinsic VCO noise, but have poor
jitter transfer performance.  Remember that there are parasitics in the
loop and they cause peaking in the loop response, along with higher
order poles in VCO, so when the loop BW increases loop stability may
suffer.   Verify that the equations are correct (they are usually fairly
lousy linearized approximations of a charge-pump sampling system)and the
loop is set correctly, we can check the loop dynamics with Spectrum
Analyzer and autocorrelation analysis often using Wavecrest instruments.

Scott McMorrow raised an important point is that if you characterize
your PLL's correctly you can specifically target range of frequencies
for power plane resonance, supply issues, etc., that the PLL will be
most sensitive.  You would do this by using your 3D solver to optimize
the system performance of the physical platform, separate from the IC's
RJ and tolerance issues.

Three good references:

1.  "Analysis of Jitter due to Power-Supply Noise in Phase Locked
Loops", Hedar, Pedram, IEEE 2000 CICC 2.  "Jitter in Ring Oscillators",
John A. McNeill, ISCC vol 32, no 6 1997 3.  Phase Locked Loops for
High-Frequency Receivers and Transmittters- Part1 and 2, Analog Dialogue
33-3(1999)

I have a list of other really good jitter references, I can send them to
you offline.

Alfred P. Neves
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

Hillsboro Office
735 SE 16th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR, 97123
(503) 679 2429 Voice
(503) 210 7727 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark
of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC