[SI-LIST] Re: Do you really ship products at BER 10e-xx ?

  • From: <art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:21:09 -0600

Since most if not all real-world systems include some sort of error =
correction (or, more frequently, error detection and re-transmission =
facilities), the cost of errors in transmission is simply time for error =
detection and re-transmission. This cost goes in the budget along with =
the cost of overhead, system performance monitoring, services, etc. This =
also affects overall performance over time (how many bits per week can =
the system deliver error-free?). In the case of systems with =
ultra-high-reliability requirements, the cost may be reflected in the =
amount of reduncancy required. =20

I would take issue with the statement "no errors for healthy links," or =
at least with the implied interpretation of that statement in this =
context. What the PacBell engineer probably meant was "The overall =
system - including error detection, redundancy, etc. - delivers messages =
consistently without errors." Not that any one link in the system is =
ever error-free. =20

The time cost of errors is significantly affected by latency. How long =
does it take for transmission, reception, error detection, retransmit =
request back to transmitter, retransmission, second reception, second =
error detection?=20

Engineers want to be able confidently to predict the overall operational =
parameters, performance, and operating costs of their systems, and to do =
this they need statistically valid methods to estimate (extrapolate) =
reliability of each individual component or subsystem. That was the =
thrust of the effort of the T11 MJSQ committee, for example, in =
developing a jitter taxonomy. Given the nature of the normal =
distribution, it doesn't take a very large standard deviation to have a =
bit error rate exceed 10E-12.  =20

Art Porter   =20