[SI-LIST] Re: Do you really ship products at BER 10e-xx ?

  • From: "Tom Waschura" <tom_waschura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:58:57 -0700

Andy,

Errors in backplanes are typically correlated to the data patterns because
of the high frequency rolloff and nulls in the traces, vias, connectors,
etc.  This means that bit errors are pattern dependent and that your error
location probabilities are therefore only as predictable as your
data--typically not predictable at all (although coding could be used to
optimize this).  A single-bit FEC (Fire code, hamming code) is great for
boosting random error rate; however, errors on a backplane are not random.
This might mean that you could have "killer patterns" that cause system
failures....

Tom