[SI-LIST] Re: Do you really ship products at BER 10e-xx ?

  • From: "Alfred P. Neves" <al.neves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:32:21 -0700

Chris,

Your making really good practical points, but I still think these issues
come down to

1.  Methodology
2.  System Reliability of a designed/manufactured link with transceiver
3.  Objective

You already discussed 2 - the systems your designing are reliable,
right?

Starting with Methodology then ... What engineering methodology do you
use to insure, Ill call it "almost perfect" BER in the system? After the
proto is constructed what verification methods are being used to confirm
your initial design methods?

In a recent 3 day Jitter class taught by Teraspeed Consulting, the
direction we have been using is a combined method of using 3D Solvers,
verification via measure-based methods using both TDR and VNA
s-parameters, spectrum analysis of PLL loop response (including
transmitter output when running clock like patterns), autocorrelation of
the accumulated or phase jitter and subsequent FFT (Wavecrest) to obtain
the power spectral density of the jitter, measuring large samples of
data and creating statistically significant bathtub curves (Synthesis
Research), and Digital Storage Oscilloscope using DL-11 Delay
(Tektronix), BERT (Agilent).

We illustrated a unified method for high integrity backplane design
using jitter data from different sources. For example, the power
spectral density should correspond to the FFT of the autocorrelation.
The DSO jitter numbers must agree with Wavecrest.  Turning aggressors
off/on provides meaningful changes in the bathtub curves considering BUJ
type of jitter as measured with tools that capture a lot of data
(Synthesis Research) versus using 3D solver analysis of the system
crosstalk.  Significant crosstalk is not hard to model or measure using
a VNA, and crosstalk can be analyzed with both the jitter boxes and
spectrum analzyer (if you can turn aggressors off/on) even though it is
very low probability.

Dealing with objective:  Consider the objective of providing a Design
Team in a large semiconductor company with suggested design improvements
for a 3.125Gbpsec transmitter.  Real problem, lots of $$$ on the table,
what's your methodology?  How do you approach this problem considering
they want to use as much existing silicon as possible for the next gen
5Gbpsec part.    Would you need to redesign the output driver, less
jitter on the multiplying PLL, lower VCO noise, greater immunity from
the VCO from supply junk?

Another example of a different objective:  In an ATE test case, the
testers system clock, which was setting the sampling instances of the
A/D (DUT) was too jittery and the ENOB was not being achieved.  A
significant yield loss and product introduction was directly impacted- a
bad thing after a product is designed, characterized, and ready to ship.
We directly referenced the RJ to ENOB (a few good IEEE papers on this)
and generated a target RJ specification.  After designing a new clock,
the part achieved almost the theoretical ENOB we were heroes.  We did
not have to over design the system however, and the solution took only
several days to implement.

I totally agree that if you have a good engineering team (Chris Cheng)
working the design a very good link with low power supply junk and use
well characterized and designed transceivers your not probably going to
have to deal with measuring 10's of Femtoseconds of RJ.   However, not
analyzing RJ carefully and its impact on the system performance does not
provide a concerted methodology, and this method extends into the design
phase of the link using 3D solver analysis and meaningful eye diagrams
simulation of the links DJ.

Alfred P. Neves
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

Hillsboro Office
735 SE 16th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR, 97123
(503) 679 2429 Voice
(503) 210 7727 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark
of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC