[SI-LIST] Do you really ship products at BER 10e-xx ?

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:49:09 -0700

I've been shipping Gb/s serial products for a while and have my share of
fail parts. However, I have yet to see a physical channel that is not either
working like a charm or just fall on its face and barfing errors like crazy.
Sure, chips or disk can fail and generates errors but no flaky channels that
spits an error every other hour or days. To me, the channel is either have a
BER that is near 1 (barfing errors like crazy) or near 0 (never fail, or at
least approaching the life of the product it is attached to).
Are we just kidding ourselves with these fancy BER analyzers or jitter
instruments ? Do you really let a machine runs at say BER 10e-12 and say "ah
ha, it only fails once a day and let's ship it" ? Is BER really meant for
IEEE spec committees and not for real engineers who actually have to ship a
product ?

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org