[SI-LIST] Re: Do you really ship products at BER 10e-xx ?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:55:14 -0700

Art,  a point of yours that I really agree with is that it can be far more
economical to attain system level message reliability with higher layer
processing, than to obsess on getting insanely low raw link error
rates.  Older schemes like SONET do not retransmit and do not provide FEC
for payloads.  But that doesn't stop any application from  doing so above
the raw transport.  For its trivial simplicity yet still relatively low B/W
and logic overhead, I like SONETs flag / pointer redundancy, and wish that
had been carried into CEP / PWE3.

Steve

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: