[SI-LIST] Re: Current Return Vias

  • From: "Giovanni Guasti" <giovanni.guasti@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ihsan Erdin" <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:36:10 +0100

Ihsan,
I do not think this is just a rule of thumb: this is an experience that
comes from measurements and simulations done in the last years.

Please give a look to the following link, I used HFSS and Hspice to
simulate. I do not like rules of thumb, this was the reason of a short
presentation for ANSOFT Partners in design - "Analisi critica delle
rergole di buon progetto" (critical analysis of "rules of thumb")

http://www.ansoft.com/partnersindesign/IT_guasti_italtel.pdf

Another presentation during the EMC of Rome 2005 "The strategic role of
EM field solver in Power and Signal Integrity"  spent some slides on the
optimization of vias.

I would be glad to send you the file if you are interested in.

I do not want with this to convince anyone. But at this point, in order
to change my opinion, I need a research that states otherwise in a
peer-refereed publication. :-)

Design costs: in my mail I spoke about an analysis needed first, to
understand if a gnd via can be useful or not. In the most complex PCB I
followed there were only four differential pairs that could benefit from
this technique. So this is not a high cost, I think.

Board thickness and signal frequency spectrum must always be considered.
I would never suggest to double the number of via!

Best regards,

            Giovanni