[SI-LIST] Re: Current Return Vias

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:52:58 -0700

Joel, the quasi static extents are the spatial boundary within which
we can ignore wave effects.  Commonly, this would be a circle of no
more than about 1/6 of a rise time.  That is a convenient number, as
for FR4 you can just simplify it to 1" radius * Tr in nsecs.  Your
basic intuition is correct.  The impedance presented to a signal with
given frequency components is inversely proportional to the
capacitance within this "radius of action".  That is in-turn
proportional to the square of the radius.  But the radius is
proportional to the rise time.  Consequently, just looking at the
quasi static case, the impedance presented by the effective plate
capacitor is proportional to both the cavity height and the inverse
of the rise time.
Once we get to the point that the quasi static model is broken, we
have to look at this in terms of the various wave modes.  The
relationships are sometimes intuitive, but often are
not.  Fortunately there are good tools out there to simulate what we
are up to.  When Teraspeed designs a wide bandwidth launch it takes
considerable effort and usually several iterations to dial in what we
want.  If you are going to consider taking really fast busses through
PCB cavities, you've got a couple of choices:

1) Do the homework,
2) Do the homework, or
3) Cross your fingers

Regards,