[SI-LIST] Re: Current Return Vias

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kenny Frohlich" <kenny_frohlich@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:35:51 -0700

Kenny,

It is not true that you need a "return current" via next to each layer
changing signal  via.  I continue to be amazed that engineers who are
looked upon as SI experts say such things.

Imagine you have a 4 layer PCB, such as the mother  board in a PC, where
there are only two planes, one Vdd and one ground, where would such vias
connect?  There have been billions of these made to date that work just
fine and have very fast signals on them.  The return currents you are
concerned about find their way from plane to plane through the collection
of decoupling capacitors and interplane capacitance that you had to
engineer into the power delivery system in order to make it stable. Focus
on this and the return currents take care of themselves.  EMI is minimized
he same way..

for the purpose of letting return currents jump between layers.  I know
it's a requirement for high speed signals, especially differrential
signals.  Is this also required for low speed single-ended signals (133Mhz
or slower)?
>   If this is a requirement, what would be a good signal via to ground via
ratio? For example,  there are five signal vias within a 1 inch area, how
many ground vias do I need?

>   Thank you
>   Kenny

> List FAQ wiki page is located at: