[SI-LIST] Re: Current Return Vias

  • From: "Larry Smith" <LSMITH@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:54:27 -0700

Joel - You have it right.  If transmission line return current must jump
from one reference (ground) plane to another, it is always beneficial to
provide a via to help that happen.  Return current can jump from one
ground plane to another through the inter-plane capacitance but this
will involve reference plane bounce.  The amount of reference plane
bounce depends upon the number of signals making the transition and
dielectric thickness between planes. =20

One signal will not cause excessive plane bounce (usually several mV)
but several signals switching at once will make an SSN issue in the via
field.  I've seen designs where a couple of dozen single ended signals
forced return current to jump from one plane to another, resulting in
excessive power plane bounce, crosstalk between signals and SSN noise on
quiet lines.  The more signals you have, and the further apart the
planes are (more dielectric thickness, less capacitance between planes),
the more important it is to provide return current vias.

As Scott mentioned, a bunch of signals that go through vias and force
return current to jump between reference planes is just like sending
signals across a plane split. It is a discontinuity in the return path
which must be considered.  It is also like running a bunch of signals
through a connector without providing sufficient return path.  We know
better than to do these things. =20

Differential signals can jump reference planes with minimal
consequences.  You might even get away with it with just a few single
ended signals.  But watch out if you have enough single ended signals to
create SSN problems.  The reference plane bounce issue grows with each
additional signal making the transition. =20

Regards,
Larry Smith
Altera Corporation

From: Kenny Frohlich <kenny_frohlich@xxxxxxxxx>[1] To:
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[2]Date: 7/22/2006 6:45:56 AM Subject: [SI-LIST]
Current Return Vias Dear Experts, I understand that I need to provide
ground
vias next to via explictly for the purpose of letting return currents
jump
between layers. I know it's a requirement for high speed signals,
especially
differrential signals. Is this also required for low speed single-ended
signals (133Mhz or slower)? If this is a requirement, what would be a
good
signal via to ground via ratio? For example, there are five signal vias
within a 1 inch area, how many ground vias do I need? Thank you Kenny
help:
si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[6] with 'help' in the Subject field List
wiki page is located at: http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ[7]
List
technical documents are available at: http://www.si-list.org[8] List
archivesare viewable at: //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list[9] or
at
our remote archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/si-list/messages[10]
Old
(prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu[11]
web page, go to: //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list[13] For help:
si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[14] with 'help' in the Subject field List
wiki page is located at: http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ[15]
Listtechnical documents are available at: http://www.si-list.org[16]
List
archives are viewable at: //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list[17]
or
atour remote archives:
Old(prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu[19]=20

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:kenny_frohlich@xxxxxxxxx
   2 mailto:si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx