[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: west locations

  • From: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 21:00:06 -0800

On Jan 24, 2015, at 8:05 PM, David Fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

AH, I've been waiting for the East/West fight to begin. I'll only make one
comment and then I will try my best to shut up.

We have named the regions of our nation by the historical process of our
development - moving West - where else could we go but to Cuba or some other
island. So 'out West' could mean Knoxville or anywhere West of the Atlantic
Ocean. But that was before my time, contrary to some rumors.
 Poor Alaska and Hawaii always get left out.

Storm

If we are measuring distance, than we have to rethink our historic orientation
to distance and designation. I will try to attach the map I made to illustrate
the concept. Surprisingly, those in the East are usually shocked to find that
they are not 200 miles from the West. Those who live in the West are usually
more aware of the distances because of our vastness. Lots of dirt out here.

If we look at our usual spots and some of those suggested it looks more like
this:

Mid Point - Just west of Kansas City
Denver - Mid West
St. Louis - Mid East
Nearest city in West - Salt Lake City, UT
Nearest city in East - Columbus or Charlotte

We live in a big country and it will never be totally fair. So we can go
anywhere a big airplane can fly. If not, then we can't fly a dog.
All that is arguing distance. If we are only measuring by population, then the
East has it big time. In fact I am afraid to go further than Kansas for fear
that the whole continent will tip over.
Dave

<West, East Map.jpg>

Stormy V. Hope