[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: show site & region definitions

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx" <Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>, Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, Pdragon4@xxxxxxx, kleinkauf2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:08:37 -0500

I am not "anti" west nationals, but you cannot deny they are usually
smaller perhaps that is why there have been fewer of them.Oregon was our
last west national, the entries in the classes were extremely small.With a
lack of air travel availability, I would anticipate they will be smaller
yet. Bottom line is there is a big gap in the dog population( and human)
once you get west of Kansas City, MO. The PC membership begins to decline
considerably until you reach Nevada and Utah, who still don't have many
members, but more than.states such as Idaho, Montana,Wyoming,N and S Dakota
and Nebraska who have a total number of about 30 PC members combined, this
is a huge area with a small membership( not saying you guys are not
important, just talking about geography!)  CA and the rest of the West
coast may have  numbers, but those numbers don't compare to the totals from
the east coast, south east, south and mid west..so when you have a west
coast national you are asking for the majority of the dog population to
travel west via air over a vast expanse of area  and you lose a great deal
of entries because flying limits the number of dogs you can bring by the
people who own the majority of dogs. If you look at Fut/mat entries it will
back up what I state, with the smallest entries usually being the NW, MP,
SP and sometimes the SW and the largest being the MW, GL, MA,NE and the SE,
with the SE again depending on location. A compromise may be for the West
coast to be open to having nationals in states such as Nevada, Utah as I
know many west coasters attend shows in those states.Just eyeballing the
map Utah appears to be drivable for WA, Oregon and CA. Nevada appears to be
drivable also for those in the area..

 Bottom line is this.it really isn't about numbers of people , but numbers
of dogs shown. If 50 people from the MW, GL, SE, MA and NE can fill their
vans and travel to a National with an average of 4 dogs that is 200 dogs,
however if these same people can only fly with 2 dogs that takes the entry
down to 110.That is a huge difference in an entry! In order to have the
entries, the west coast and surrounding states must make up the difference,
historically that hasn't happened, not in San Diego and not in
Oregon.Actually I would think that coastal nationals( east or west) would
tend to have less entries. think of the country as a square..if you have
the national in the center, or slightly off center in any direction..more
can drive..if you have the national on the perimeter in any direction, then
the majority can't drive, so the entries are usually less.

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

Ft