[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: gaiting

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx>, <AGray40366@xxxxxxx>, <Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 21:35:47 -0700

I know this is a controverial subject.......but I love the fact that at least
we are discussing our dogs.
<G>
I think it is controverisal because some seem to think it necessary and love to
evaluate gait at a walk
and there are those of us that do not.......not at a REAL walk anyway.    <G>
I find it to be the most "controlled" way to show a dog there is.   To keep a
dog from pacing at that speed the
handlers have to gather  the dog up on the leash to get their front out of the
way of the rear stride......and
therefore you are again  seeing an "illusion"  of a gait.
The only true way to evalauate the gait is on a loose leash so you can see the
dog gaiting on it's own and not
leaning into the pressure of the leash and the strength of the handlers arm.
The speed is up to the judge.
But at a real walk on a loose leash a moving GSD  WILL almost always  pace
unless gatgered up and held
up and controlled by the handler
They are even selling 'special' choke chains now that have a large curved link
at the throat so the dog won't
choke itself so much as the handler holds it up and in the "position"  they
want that gives the "appearance"
of topline,  front extension, and rear drive........and we wonder why we are
losing the correct powerful driving
rear  that propels the dog forward.
Ah well............

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

AGray40366@xxxxxxx writes:
I've  been looking at the post on gaiting and can't help but put $0.02 in.
When the essence of the breed is the "flying trot" a walking assessment  seems
awful elementary.
 If you are in the center of the ring to  assess the dog against  it's
standard, and the first line of the  standard under "gait" is "a german
shepherd dog is a trotting dog  and its structure has been developed to  meet
the requirements
of its  work." then one would assume the best  evaluation of the dog is at a
trot. If you can't tell bad backs, hocks,  soundness, and balance at  a trot
and need to fall back on a walk, you might  need to look a lot  more dogs.

I could not agree with you more Ann.  Walking does nothing for me,  especially
if they are pulling.  Judges
who do it, to me, are grand  standing.  I've never seen any worth to the
exercise.  Randy