[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: gaiting

  • From: AGray40366@xxxxxxx
  • To: utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:26:57 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2009 2:02:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I guess  my question would be that if the handler will not or cannot
contain the dog at  the proper speed without
stringing him up, racing etc. it might be hard to tell about back, hock
etc.    I know a handler who said he knew of a really good bitch to  buy but
she had a soft back but if he handled her, he knew how to fix that.  So, many
know how to "fix" things.   I guess if there is any  question, then maybe
at a walk, that can't be covered up as well.   A  judge might know when a
handler is holding a dog up, but maybe it might be  difficult to know the
"why".   I guess experience would show the "why" of  a handler holding up a dog
most of the time.   But as one judge said, if  there seemed to be a favorite
dog and this dog was questionable, maybe a good  walk would show all what
the problem was.
I guess it is a matter of preference and I wouldn't see a problem with
either way.    I certainly would not complain if a judge said to  walk any more
than if the judge said they wanted a loose lead and no  racing.
Anne

I get that. But, if the handlers cannot present the dog on a loose lead,
which by the way, our dogs generally show better movement on a loose lead,
and  you give them sufficient time to , the person in the center of the ring
is under  no obligation to use the dog in the placings. I find if they just
"won't" it is  usually because the dog had a gait flaw they think is "hidden"
by stringing them  up. So be it. I consider it "handler choice" If the dog
is just too  "excited" to get a grip, that might just be hander not being
able to control  them, but the good ones always seem to be able to some
semblance of control out  of even the "wired" ones. It is possible to take the
excitable ones for a short  run before taking them in the ring to give them
time to "get a little better  collected"( Oh yeah I've owned a few of those. )
In horses we call it the  "schooling ring"-think that could be for a reason?
Maybe it could be like a restraint of some type, say a girdle, it  can hold
in a multitude of sins, but if you let it go, everything is  obvious. That
might be a bad analogy, sorry.
Ann Gray