[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: gaiting

  • From: AGray40366@xxxxxxx
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 14:38:47 EDT

I've been looking at the post on gaiting and can't help but put $0.02 in.
When the essence of the breed is the "flying trot" a walking assessment
seems  awful elementary. If you are in the center of the ring to assess the dog
against  it's standard, and the first line of the standard under "gait" is
"a german  shepherd dog is a trotting dog and its structure has been
developed to  meet the requirements of its work." then one would assume the
best
evaluation of the dog is at a trot. If you can't tell bad backs, hocks,
soundness, and balance at a trot and need to fall back on a walk, you might
need
to look a lot more dogs. It does go on to say "at a walk it covers a  great
deal of ground with long strides." If you can see ground covering gait at
a walk seems like you can see it at a trot even better. If the person in the
 center of the ring can't tell if a handler is holding a dog up, I'd have
serious questions about whether or not I would want my dogs shown to this
person. I want my dogs assessed by someone that knows and appreciates balance
 and movement-at a trot. But that's just my opinion.
Ann Gray