[ SHOWGSD-L ] Whites

  • From: Pharaohs Revenge <pharaohsrevenge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:43:14 -0400

I think you are missing the point. My feeling that removing the DQ for whites
is an acknowledgement that these dogs, that helped create this breed, are
finally making steps toward equal status with their "colored" counterparts.
This decision should not be about the show ring. It should be based on what is
best for the breed as a whole. You speak of health, why would you be in favor
of segregating a gene pool based on color? I'd ask how does separating the
whites help the GSD gene pool? We know the color is not linked to any genetic
disorders nor linked to temperament and modern genetics tell us it also is not
contributing to paling as it is a masking gene not a dilution gene.

 A bigger gene pool gives more diversity and more options. I can tell you that
the white line I started with was way more healthy and long-lived than the show
lines I have. What if an epidemic arises where we see a majority of our GSDs
affected? wouldnt we want the most possible options to help diffuse it? I think
it is incredibly short-sighted to make this decision on what will happen in the
show ring. It's not selfish to do what is best for the breed.  A white won't
win in the show ring, so what, if I can keep using the longevity and great
health I have seen with the white line and keep that line in the breed it is, a
GSD, that's a way better win than any ribbon.

Donna Beadle
eclipsekennels.com

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
From: Terry Cochran <terrycochran97756@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Apology to the Board
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:53:13 -0700

I think it is selfish and self centered. We are going to remove a DQ so we
might be able to raise the numbers in the conformation ring? Wouldn't it be
better to allow the white dogs to become
there own breed? How many of you enter a dog show to loose? Do the breeders of
whites not want to prove their lines in a conformation ring? Are they all
performance?  Do we need members so badly that we are willing to hold the white
breeders back?  I vote to cut them loose and let them do there own thing. This
is an attempt to placate them so they keep on sending in dues and entering
performance  events nothing more. The GSD is standing between them and the AKC.
Like someone said, What judge would ever put them up?  So the GSDCA thinks it
is a step forward for the white breeders to  be made a serious fault instead of
a DQ after they have put in all the effort on cleaning up health issues? That
says tons about us as a club.
Terry
Sent from my iPad

On Jul 29, 2013, at 7:31 PM