[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Walk softly but..............

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:40:20 -0500 (EST)

Maybe it's semantics.

I am saying socialization and you are somehow inferring training to cover
up raging spooks.  Not sure how that morphed....you didn't see the links I
sent about Carmen's project or seven things to do w/ puppies before seven
weeks?  There's a lot new in the last few years re puppy raising.   Some of
us have done things intuitively, but now we have data.

If a puppy is carefully started and well and properly socialized you don't
end up w/ raging spooks...well, I never have.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 2/8/2014 7:32:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:

We can all train dogs to not shy, not react in an obvious way,  from mildly
unsure dogs to raging spooks.
It is not difficult.  It is good to train them, to socialize them,  as much
as is necessary to make them
easier to live with, for all concerned.   However in the end, in  taking a
shy, or nervous dog, and
desensitizing him, and "socializing " him , sometimes to the nth
degree...you still have not fixed the problem,
only put a bandaid on it.  Easier to live with afterwards?  Oh  sure ,
maybe..but  In the end you still only have a well trained spook.
No thanks.
Did that for a living and very successfully with many show dogs...but,
don't want to own them for ourselves.
Again, it depends on what an individual is willing to live with...

Kathy (Tank)

_http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com_
(http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com/)
Updated: June 2013
CH.  Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
Kappo von Eisenwerk
RBIF  Monarch's Tarragon v Kaleef

"Victory...Vires  et honestas"

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM, <_Pinehillgsds@aol.com_
(mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

What?  I think every dog needs to be carefully raised, well  started and
socialized to reach their full potential. (As opposed to  warehousing
potential show prospects in pens and pulling them out for a show  day only).

Socialization isn't "training to correct character flaws".

You know, maybe more than a few GSD people are behind the times in  puppy
rearing.  Carmen has a project he is working on w/ U of P re the  benefits of
early stimulation.  He claims <only> 35% is  genetic.:

http://www.kitsapcanine.com/articles/SuperDog.pdf

And if that's a bit deep, there is the rule of 7:

http://www.echowyn.com/Ruleof7.html

You'll see that this is done by seven weeks. And a puppy is well, WELL  on
their way at 8 weeks when started young.

Kathy,  member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 2/8/2014 3:55:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
_tanksr@gmail.com_ (mailto:tanksr@xxxxxxxxx)  writes:

The truly sound dog does not need socialization, but they  aren't all
perfect so maybe we need to help some of them out a bit. The  danger in that is
it can be a slippery slope as we make more and more  excuses for character
flaws. It's ok to socialize and train to correct the  flaws but not to make
the mistake of using them for breeding. Since we  don't really have a very
good method of testing temperament in our system,  I think we need to be extra
diligent when choosing breeding animals.

Ken

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM, <_Pinehillgsds@aol.com_
(mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

How old were they when you got them?  Maybe somebody else put  the good
foundation on them. Not saying they aren't sound, just saying  someone may have
given them a great start.

The longer I am around dogs, the more importance I put on a really  good
start.

Kathy, member GSDCA,  DVGSDC
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 2/8/2014 2:00:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
_rbuffdogs@gmail.com_ (mailto:rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx)  writes:

A truly sound dog with good nerves doesn't need  socialization.  Kappo is a
prime example.
We didn't  "socialize" him, because he never needed it.  Same with  Quina,
Sound is sound, is sound.
Socializing is great if they  need it...but with a dog of true "stands  his
ground "  character..it is
not necessary.  Fun, but not  necessary.
Kathy

*"Victory...*Vires et  honestas"

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 4:28 AM, <_Pinehillgsds@aol.com_
(mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

>  Lack of socialization.  We have people who  collect prospects and
> warehouse them in kennel runs, then on  Thursday they get a bath, blown
out
> and loaded in a van to go  to a weekend of shows.  Once there, they spend
> almost all  of their time in the van or in a x-pen.  Sometimes  multiple
> littermates are kept and if folks aren't careful to  separate them they
bond
> to one another and not their  people.
>
> Then, when a response isn't "perfect", a  correction and some extra
> training, a crash course after the  show behind the van.  "STAND,
STAY!!!!!".

>  Conversely a dog who lives as a member of the family, used to  household
> chaos, road trips to children's sporting  events...very different animal.
>

> *Kathy, member GSDCA,  DVGSDC*

POST  is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the
original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or  FORWARDS of
any kind are permitted without prior permission of the  original author AND
of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her  post.  This group
and its administrators are not responsible for  the comments or opinions
expressed in any post.

ALL PERSONS ARE  ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY
MANNER OF  ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION  OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION  WILL BE
PROSECUTED.

For assistance, please contact the List  Management at _admin@showgsd.org_
(mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE - _http://showgsd.org_ (http://showgsd.org/)