[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Walk softly but..............

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 14:22:25 -0800 (PST)

I 100% agree with you Kathy,  a pup is either of sound temperament from the
start
or not. I listen to people make excuses why their dog has temperament issues
using Abuse or not being socialized enough, the real case lies with genetics.
The
problem starts with the genetic makeup of the sire and dam where they
pass on stable or unstable temperament.  The unstable dogs should not be bred
on in
the first place and it would end there.  So what happens is the puppy
buyer gets the problem so if they can not deal with the temperament
issues the dog ends up at the local shelter. So giving treats to dogs to make
them accept strangers, etc. is not the answer not breeding the sire and dam is.

Professional trainers can hide the temperament issues to some degree but if
something uncertain happens the dog responds in a negative way for others to
see.
Years ago trainers did not use gimmicks or treats but today it is the going
thing.  Why
dogs today are not bred to be of stable temperament in the first place,  most
believe
the excuses that are made. If you need all these gimmicks and treats to make a
dog behave
you are headed in the wrong direction.

All you need to do is look in a dog or pups eyes it tells he whole story of
whether they are secure or not.

Theresa

On Sat, 2/8/14, Rbuffdogs . <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Kappo was 8 weeks old so that
 "someone eles"  would be us.   But he
 and
 Quina (Quina who was never socialized and spent her whole
 LIFE until we got
 her in a kennel..period.)   Then there is
 Nixie, our rescue from Serbia.
  She is the poster child for ABUSED, NEGLECTED, IN PAIN,
 BLIND, AND
  SHIPPED ALL OVER THE WORLD by a ruthless and money hungry
 dog dealer.
 She came to us, by God's Grace and the help of so many
 people , worldwide,
 trying to save her... The minute she could see after the
 surgery to save
 her remaining sight (about 20-30%, and spotty) she
 transformed into a dog
 with, I dare say IDEAL character/temperament, and STRONG
 nerves and TOUGH
 AS NAILS.  Never socialized, wholly abused, and in pain
 all her life....but
 never socialized.
 Again truly sound is truly sound, solid is
 solid....socializing not
 required.
 Kathy

 On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM, <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>
 wrote:

 >  How old were they when you got them?  Maybe
 somebody else put the good
 > foundation on them. Not saying they aren't sound, just
 saying someone may
 > have given them a great start.
 >
 > The longer I am around dogs, the more importance I put
 on a really good
 > start.
 >

 > *Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC*Celebrating generations of
 Dual Titled TC'd
 > Champions
 > visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/
 >
 >  In a message dated 2/8/2014 2:00:04 P.M. Eastern
 Standard Time,
 writes:

 > A truly sound dog with good nerves doesn't need
 socialization.  Kappo is a
 > prime example.
 > We didn't "socialize" him, because he never needed
 it.  Same with Quina,
 > Sound is sound, is sound.
 > Socializing is great if they need it...but with a dog
 of true "stands  his

http://showgsd.org/mail.html