[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Walk softly but..............

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ELG440@xxxxxxx" <ELG440@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 14:19:39 -0600

Wondering here in the frozen wasteland:
So- how many of y'all have been hit YOURSELF with that very stick used in dog
sport, which is both padded and a flexible rod inside?
I have quite a few times-- and Evan I must say it's not an effective weapon on
anything but small insects for doing actual damage and maybe a cat or small dog
would be pained with it. I would rather get hit with "the stick" 10x than
snapped with a wet towel once if that says anything about the physical pain
effects of it!
Ask any children who grew up in a dog sporting home- we all sword fought with
the batons! LOL
The stick is about intimidation and pressure under both threat and contact, not
that the dog will bite despite being placed in pain.
Many dogs will grip with the stick waving but will let loose of the helper when
the contact is made- plus the sticks make quite a whap! noise when they are
struck which will make some dogs loose their nerve- just because contact is
made. Doesn't always so much matter if the contact is a butterfly kiss or
thrown off a cliff, just the pressure of contact makes them break.
I surely see the anger & sadness & loss people in dog sports feel about this
decision, which sadly is just another manifestation of political correctness
spilling over into our dog community, never mind if it's a disservice to dogs
as a whole or not, but that people think it's mean to hit someone else with a
stick- maybe if it were another person and maybe if it were a real stick or
even something that could hurt (let's say even a bruise-- which a baton won't
do without EFFORT I know) someone then maybe I could agree with the decision.
We as protectors of the GSD have worked so hard to improve upon temperaments
and to keep those good ones strong throughout the generations. What does one
think will happen, when most of the world's GSDs no longer have their
time-honored and proven method of evaluating their dogs' temperament/work
ethic/etc that they are all stuck with the "new PCer version" of IPO?
To me it's like taking the gunshot or the umbrella or the scary guy at the end
of our TC...  While the rest of the test has it's uses, to take out the "scary"
parts of the TC to make it easier to pass and easier to watch (which I'm sure
is part of why this rule is coming to be- the spectators who know no better)
would leave us not necessarily knowing if any dog would crack when pressured
like that unless we had the people, equipment and environment where we were
able to do those portions on our own... But then what would be the point of
doing the TC then if we had to go off on our own to do the "hard parts"??
Jen P & the Pack who think it's a shame that decisions such as these are made
despite the protests from those within the sport and who it really hurts over
the long haul

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://showgsd.org/mail.html