[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Walk softly but..............

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 13:38:09 -0800 (PST)

Having been to Police Trials and Sport Events the good dogs it made no
difference
whether one had a stick or not. If a dog is not of good protective temperament
it shows
stick or not.  If you need to desensitize a dog to make them accept someone
with a stick
to not be afraid how is that a good thing? Today we see it at dog shows and all
competitive
events of people desensitizing their dogs to everything.  A good dog shows
courage regardless
of a gun, knife, sword, chains, etc. they do not need to desensitize them.  How
many crooks
are going to be carry a stick as how would that stop a dog.  As I watch so many
events the treats,
expecting the dog to look at the handler as they move instead of looking
forward makes no sense
to me. The good dogs think for themselves in a situation when it calls for
protection as sometimes
that person is unable to.

Max von Stephanitz  shot off a gun to test a dog for his courage did not use a
stick.
Here in the USA when he judged as the gun went off several dogs shied away and
they
were excused from the class. As I always hear people comment on what he wanted
in the GSD maybe
they should read his book written in Germany and not the ones that came after.

Schutzhund in Germany 1936

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsBi0PehfAM&feature=related

Very few German Shepherd Dogs are true working dogs today as their courage has
been bred out for a much softer dog.
Ever wonder why today the Police are turning to the Dutch Shepherd and Belgian
Malinois  ?

Theresa

On Fri, 2/7/14, ELG440@xxxxxxx <ELG440@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 I do not do schutzhund work, not do I
 ever intend to.

 I can't believe making a dog used to getting hit by a stick
 is a good thing.

 To me, it is smart not to want to get hit by anything, and I
 never felt the  need to put my will on my dog, to get him to do something I
 want, and not  what  is reasonable for any animal.

 I do understand that is my personal opinion, and I may be
 wrong. But, I  will never desensitize my dog from being hit.

 Evan

http://showgsd.org/mail.html