[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Standard

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:07:56 -0700 (PDT)

I think the key to a well written, a well depicted Standard is that the dogs
from 50 years ago do look like the dogs of today. That's the whole point of a
Standard...consistancy.   There is talk that many breeds have changed over the
years.....maybe, but I've always been amazed at how many of the Sporting dogs
and most of the terriers have remained true to their Standard.  How many of you
have looked at paintings of say a Fox Terrier from a couple hundred years ago,
and it looks like the Fox Terrier you saw yesterday at the dog show.....pretty
amazing isn't it.  But to be fair, GSD's are such a young breed....I think
we're in the infancy stage of the breed....still trying to figure out what the
GSD should look like.

Cindy

DPiagentin@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/15/2005 7:16:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx writes:
The new illustrations and photos will definitely change how the Standard
is perceived.
barbara

Exactly and that is why the new one needs to reflect the way the GSD looks
today and not 50 years ago.

Lee Brown

Well, I guess I will put my 2 cents in here, I agree with Barbara, the new
illustrations if depicted to show the dogs of today that are being shown,
will certainly change the perception of the Standard.

Lee, your statement I do not agree with, the illustrations should depict the
Standard period, not what a GSD looks like today, or tomorrow. JMHO,( that
I do not share very often,) but the Illustrated Standard is too important to
just let go. Diane

_www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com_ (http://www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com/)
www.debmarscavalierkingcharlesspaniels.com

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original