[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: REF: going away vs coming at you

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <caggra@xxxxxxx>, <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <vicisheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:23:07 -0400

Jeff Pyle writes:
I disagree with you Jessica.  We have more rear issues out there than front
issues.  So that tells me that it's more difficult to correct.

Hmmm...  I've *always* been told by long-time breeders that fronts are much
more difficult to correct than rears.

Also, just because one thinks there are more rear issues out there than
front issues, doesn't really lend itself to the conclusion that one type of
issue is more difficult to correct than another.  Doesn't it come down to
what one is breeding for at the time?

For example...  Look at the imbalance between the fore assembly and the rear
assembly that was seen in a lot of dogs in the 80's to early 90's.  I've
read article after article written by "pillars of the breed," such as Connie
Beckhardt, that expounded on the fact that front assemblies were being
ruined by "too much rear."  And that recovering good fronts was going to
take a long time and a lot of forethought, while rears were much more easily
corrected.  I've also talked to people who were in the Breed at the time and
they agreed.

These breeders were alluding to the fact that Nature has a way of correcting
imbalances.  In the case of dogs bred for too much rear, the upper arms were
shortened rather dramatically.  Those of you who have Reviews from this
period can see what I'm talking about.

The advice I've received from successful breeders has always been, "Breed
for the TOTAL dog.  Do not concentrate on one trait more than another.  And
above all...  Understand and breed to the Standard."

If I am wrong in what I say here, please correct me.  I want to learn.
Private mail is fine, but feel free to "educate" me on the List as there may
be other Listers who are interested in this topic.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam