[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppy Mill For Sale

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:19:10 EDT

Excellent points, Suzanne.
Ileana

In a message dated 4/28/2008 10:59:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Its  'doable' but its not a simple refit.  Keep in mind that the existing
runs  can't be over two feet wide with small dog/cat sized door openings
through
the  wall.   Everything would have to be ripped out, new openings cut  through
the block, others blocked in, and very few GSD sized runs will fit in  that
area.  As one of the folks who pulls/transports for Last Hope I'm  not trying
to knock the idea just being a realist.
I'd love to see  us have a justified place to house dogs - either temporoary
or long term, or  both.  However, I wouldn't like to see us set up a facility
like we had  here in GA many years ago that set up a facility and got in over
their  heads.  They ended up being closed by the state when animals weren't
receiving proper care/conditions deteriorated due to sheer numbers and lack of
staff to care for them all.  This is not something that can just be done
overnight.  It needs careful planning and management.

There are  existing dogs on the property.  What do we do with them?
Euthanize  them to set up a 'safe haven' for other dogs?  Wow, what publicity
that
would get us......... [this was a suggestion/supposition in another  post.  I
didn't make it up] Place them in other breed rescue?  Adopt  them out?

The first hurdle is getting the money together to  purchase the place which
we can do.  But there are other decisions that  have to be made and long term
funding for the facility that needs to be  established before we move forward.
Other considerations right off the  top........What happens the day there is
no money for say food and forty dogs  on the property???????  How about
multiple caretakers?  One person  is not physically capable of caring for dogs
without a break seven days a week  for an undefined time period.  If you happen
find someone willing to  commit to that.... who will have time to transoprt
dogs to the vet, do  temperament evaluations, training, and just basic spending
time with the  charges, handle adoptions, paperwork, etc.  Managing a falility
like this  is not like owning a private hobby kennel.......

--
Suzanne

listings at AOL Autos.