[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Picking Puppies

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:20:54 -0400

Dawn - Yes, a certain amount of blame can be placed on the judges...but
not all.  Breeders who sell dogs to others...dogs with these
problems...and exhibitors who show them and who should know better, are
the very first place to lay the blame.
    It is said that judges can only judge what's in front of
them...that's true to an extent.  But nobody wants to show to judges who
withhold...it's hard enough to get a handler to show to judges who don't
care who is handling dogs.
The breed has become one that is very hard to win with without a
professional handler (not that it's impossible, but it is difficult,
even very difficult)...and where are you going to place the blame for that?
    I've had dogs shown to me whose feet were so flat and splayed that
it was a miracle they could walk, never mind gait...and when I mentioned
it to the handlers, they looked at me like I was nuts....like "who
cares?"  The breeder and/or owner of the dogs should care...and the
handlers should refuse to show dogs with all these faults...maybe then
the judges would learn not to put them up...they wouldn't see them!
    I've watched mentors show films of dogs to would-be judges, and show
dogs who were dragging their feet, and there they stood, telling the
newbies what great movement was being demonstrated!  NOT!
    And what about the people who breed to these dogs with flat, splayed
feet, dragging toes, locked hocks, and dead tails?  Or dogs who are
nuts, and can only compete when they're drugged?  Whose fault is that?
Peggy