[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Picking Puppies

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:15:41 -0400

Well, that's as good an explanation as any.
    I know a man, now judging, who bred Kerry Blue Terriers.  He didn't
breed too often, and from time to time, there'd come a spring or summer
when he didn't have anything to show.  We'd ask "don't you have
anything?" and he'd say "oh, no," and he'd smile.
    What that smile meant was that he sure did have something...some
little dog or bitch back in his kennel, where he was grooming it and
training it and prepping it for the next show season.
    I can't tell you how many times that guy showed up at a specialty
with a dog or bitch no one had seen before or heard anything about...and
he'd win the sweeps and one set of points, then you'd not see the dog
again until the next specialty, where he'd do the same thing, and then
he'd not show the dog again until the third specialty rolled around,
where he'd finish it.  That was in the days when there were  always 5
points at the Kerry specialties, of course........   But he finished a
lot of his dogs that way.  It got so people hated to see him  bring out
his grooming table at a specialty.....
    Those were the days, back when people "sat on the good ones" until
they were ready.........
Peggy

Terry Cochran wrote:

>The thing to keep in mind is that there is no such thing as a show PUPPY. It
>is a promising puppy. Time tells us if they fulfill the promise or not.

If a breeder has a pup that they believe is going to grow out to be a
top quality show dog then they keep them show them. They will not place
them with a possible show home. The term "to sit on the puppy" came from
breeders :0) Gives you an interesting visual.