[ SHOWGSD-L ] Our German Shepherds

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kenandemmfoster@xxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:27:38 -0700

I would like to throw another variable into the discussion however.   With
the rapid increase of our communication abilities (interweb)
within the last 15 years, could it be that we are simply more aware of what
is going on nation wide due to better communication than was possible in
days past?
Ken Foster
Thank you Ken and sorry for your loss...

You are entirely right. We all tend to see through the prism of our
experience and when our glasses are colored with problems, they color our
whole world - or breed, as the case may be.

We had friends who had a health problem with their GSD, so they decided to
move to import lines because, they did not have the problems the American
bred lines did. But, alas, they simply changed problems. So they decided to
change breeds - same story! Unfortunately all breeds have problems and all
dogs die from something. This is also true of the human race. Yet, the human
race has gone from a life expectancy of 35 years to over 80 years in a few
short decades - even with Mc Donald's, or maybe because of them, depending
on your perspective.

We are unlocking the genetic code on disease after disease and I would not
be surprised to see a cure for cancer, ALS, AIDS and a host of other human
diseases in my lifetime - and I am no spring chicken. The same is true in
our dogs. The future is bright with possibilities.

I sometime wish I could be 15 again and start adult life all over again. I
think I would go into the field of genetics, or biochemistry, or physics and
be on the cutting edge of a revolution that is coming to our world soon.
We've only just begun!
Dave