[ SHOWGSD-L ] Our German Shepherds

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:43:17 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/11/13 4:04:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
helenfranklin520@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The  health issues are killing our dogs and driving away the  public.

I think it is easy to make statements like this, but in truth, our dogs are
 healthier than ever before. The temperament is so much better, and they
have  improved every generation.  I have been around long enough to remember
the  spooky, skinny, unhealthy dogs of the past.  Yes, we still have problems
in  our breed, but so do we in life.  They can't cure Muscular Dystrophy,
we  still have people born with Downs syndrome, and we still have kids that
die  young with crib death. But, we are improving year after year. We got rid
of  polio, and so many other problems with humans, and we have improved our
GSDs as  the years pass as well.  We do have a way to go. There are still
some lines  that seem to die young, but overall, things are much better.

Then we come to the public.  Where are we driving them away?  We  have
people calling every week and sometimes every day, looking for a German
shepherd puppy. When they see Tedi walking Way To Go and Kirk in the mornings
they
stop their cars to tell her how great the dogs look, how they used to  have
a shepherd, or how they want one. Every day on television we see ads  for
dog products, and we are still the number two or three most popular  breed.
At the shows last weekend I met two couples who came because they  wanted a
German shepherd.   Do we still need to educate the  public?  Sure, it is an
ongoing project. But, we are not driving anyone  away.

There is a movie about to come out with Rin Tin Tin. There is a movie about
 to be released about the Lone Ranger.  Yes, the kids today don't know
either of those characters. But, John Reed is still going to leave that silver
bullet, and Rinty is going to make sure none of the rangers get hurt.
There is a big court battle over the rights to Rin Tin Tin, because two
factions  are fighting to make that movie.  It is because the German shepherd
is so
 popular, that it is a sure box office draw.

The breed is strong and getting stronger in image and in health.  Our
breed is more popular than ever.  Maybe I see the glass too half full, but
while we have experienced some health problems over my 40 years in the breed, I

see less now than ever before.

And, everyone who I talk to wants to tell me about the shepherd they had as
 a kid, or the neighbor's dog, or the dog they saw when walking, or how
impressed  they are with the dogs they see.  Ask Summer what people tell her
when she  walks Zues, or Tedi, with Kirk.

I am proud of our breed and our breeders who have improved with each
litter.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together