[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Our German Shepherds

  • From: Cindy <sophoclesajax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:55:07 -0700

"What do you guys feel is an acceptable life span for a GSD? 10 12, 14
years?"
Terry, as a lifelong owner & breed enthusiast, not a breeder, I consider 13
to be a normal "healthy" lifespan. And I think that should be all of our
goal, with beyond that being "gravy," and added treasure. Once we get 13
more commonly, I see no reason we who love this breed can't set our eyes on
13-15 as a goal to strive for.

Much less than about 13 and I think something has gone wrong, and that can
be *anything* in the mix from genes to diet, exercise, veterinary care,
toxins introduced, and overall quality of life the dog was given . . . most
often a *combination* of these things. On a personal level, 15 yrs 8 mos is
my family's longest. And that is a credit to the (wonderful) show breeder
as well as resulting from good diet, swimming & appropriate exercise,
veterinary choices we made, slightly more petite size for a female, and
love & care. 10 yrs and under and I think something (many things, more
likely) has seriously gone wrong and we seek to fix things, do better in
our choices the next time around.

Overall size (oversizing) I think is likely to contribute too, as giant
sized breeds more frequently do not live as long as merely large breeds and
I see bulkier, heavier breeds like rotties having more cruciate injuries,
bigger dogs having more likelihood of bloating, etc.  When I hear the pet
buying public and/or backyard breeder types talking about bigger, heavier,
tougher, more macho GSDs that are well outside the standard for size, I
worry about this. I tell them they are not looking for a GSD, but should
buy a Rottie or Mastiff or Great Dane or something.

I think about lifespan more often that I would like to (since it can be
heartbreaking to lose a GSD at any point!) these days . . . as it is a
frequent question I get asked by the public when my GSD Service Dog & I are
out, since he is senior now (12 yrs) and still working in the public eye.

Cindy