[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Our German Shepherds

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, "ELG440@xxxxxxx" <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 05:08:52 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with some of what everyone has said on this thread and would like to
comment on a few things.

Breeding ourselves into a corner:  Yes, we have.  Yes, it is a problem.  But,
there is a way out and it isn't just about "Dallas-free" lines.  Several
breeders are beginning to bring dogs from some of the German show lines into
their breeding programs.  When I first mentioned this a few years ago, I got a
flood of emails from people saying the progeny would never win and it would
take years to get a decent shoulder back, etc.  Now I have seen some of the
progeny finish, and win multiple groups, in the first generation.  I have been
happy with these breedings, the show results, and the rock-solid temperaments
they produce.  Of course only time will tell about the longevity, but I think
we need to take some risks in order to bring in some genetic diversity at this
point in the development of the American show gsd.  It does take a lot of
careful study into lines and dogs and pedigrees for those of us, like myself,
who are not familiar with the
 German show lines and dogs.

Blaming breeders for bad health and other problems:  I think we have to look at
the important interaction between breeders and judges.  We all love the breed,
but breeders are also "in it to win it".  Consequently, breeders will breed
what judges will put up...and put up with.  The Standard does not require that
gsds walk on their hocks, for instance.  If judges would quit putting up dogs
that do, it would keep breeders from going to extremes.  Judges control what
people will breed and what exhibitors will buy.  I remember seeing someone
wearing a hat at the National that read, "I didn't come here to lose."  Me,
neither, buddy!  IMHO, judges need to assume a little (ok, a lot) more
responsibility in guiding the breed through this difficult transition period.
Some are expressing an awareness of this.
Thank you.

Public opinion:  Love of German Shepherds is not waning.  It is on the
increase.  It is love of American show gsds that is waning, and we have all
seen this quantified with continuing decreases in entries, clubs, new people
coming into the sport, etc.  Some of us have responded that we don't care what
the public thinks about our show dogs because the public is ignorant.  Most of
us have been at all breeds where we have heard other breed fanciers say
something like, "It is too bad the way that the German Shepherd people have
ruined their breed."  These are dog people who know a sound dog when they see
one.  I went to the UPenn Working Dog Conference at Purina Farms in April (the
most amazing dog event I have ever been to in my life, btw).  Carmen and I were
the only GSDCA members there.  We were invited to bring our dogs in order to
participate in various working dog training sessions, and I brought then 9
month old RiverRock's Starlett O'Hara
 (Star).  A couple of people made the practically verbatim comment that
American show gsds were "nothing but a bunch of spooky hock walkers whose only
talent was to stare at liver."  My response was to point to Star, who walks on
her feet, and to tell them that all my champions have working titles and that I
think life is too short to train an ugly dog.  As Star and I participated,
before audiences, in the various training sessions people began to come up to
me and say how beautiful she is and how they wish they could own a German
Shepherd who looked like that and worked like that.  People want a beautiful,
functional German Shepherd.  What they do not want is a crippled nut case that
is dead in 8 years.

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein, AKC Breeder of Merit
http://www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com/
Generations of Dually-Titled Champions
and Protective Companions for a Changing World