[ SHOWGSD-L ] Odd AKC Delegate viewpoint

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "DaList" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:53:09 -0800

> There is no good reason for a pet owner to send in those papers and
> until the AKC finds a way to be pet-owner friendly, why should they?
> There is noting the pet owner needs those papers for.
> And if, in order to raise more money, they allow mixed breeds into
> some of the performance/companion events, there is even less reason
> to get a purebred. Other organizations' events are a lot more
> novice-frindly, so having the AKC papers is of little importance for
> anything but bragging rights.
> Right now with people dumping dogs due to the economy (I spent the
> last two days fielding 18 rescue calls) registrations are going to
> drop more. I know of 4 people who are not going to breed for the
> next several years, at least.
> Ruth

Ruth, you are absolutely right. OK, we might argue that breeders of
pure bred dogs do a better job than random breeding on the streets,
but by-and-large, that does not matter to those who are not educated
in 'breed think,'

Registrations are down, entries in shows are down and I understand
that AKC is a business that would like to survive this trend. It is in
our best interest to support AKC and do what we can to support their
efforts to survive and prosper. Yet, most of us feel that it is
morally repugnant to be supportive of puppy mills and commercial
breeders. So, can we be supportive of AKC in their efforts to
recapture lost revenues by embracing this segment of the dog world?

There are two sides to me on this. I want to be supportive of AKC but
I am not supportive of 'sleeping with the enemy' so to speak. I want
to see our registry prosper and do well, but it appears to me that our
entire social structure and business world is in for some difficult
times in the foreseeable future. Everyone is feeling the pinch and the
immediate answer is not found in compromising our principles nor in
pressing for increased fees (taxes). You can't push the river, nor can
you fill it up with a garden hose when it is at low stage.

AKC will simply have to adjust to the trends until they reverse, if
they will. I will do everything in my power to see that our dog shows
and clubs survive and will push registration by our puppy buyers, and
yes, also use limited registrations for the betterment of the breed. I
will recommend AKC above all other registries, for that is my registry
of choice, but if, in the end, that is insufficient to stem the tide,
possibly AKC will have to cut salaries and lay off people and we will
have to survive having our shows without AKC reps at all of them, etc.

We'll all make it through this and our sport will survive and so will
AKC - but possibly not with business as usual.
Just my take on this....
Dave